We love old buildings and want to help our clients preserve, reuse, and interpret their historic properties
Northwest Vernacular is a boutique historic preservation consulting firm specializing in understanding the historic built environment and cultural landscapes. We want preservation to support community resilience and believe the character of a place contributes to quality of life and long-term economic stability.
Co-founders Katie Pratt and Spencer Howard have worked in the historic preservation field in the Pacific Northwest for more than 20 years. We have worked in Washington, Idaho, and Oregon.
Our services include:
- Architectural and cultural landscape survey and inventory
- Rehabilitation tax credit application preparation
- Historic structures and landscape reports
- Preservation planning and policy
- Regulatory compliance including SEPA, Appendix A, Section 106 and 4(f) compliance
- Building condition and window assessments
- Historic register nominations
At Northwest Vernacular, we promote the value of the historic built environment and cultural landscapes through exceptional research, documentation, and guidance. Our expert historic preservation services help our clients and the public receive the social, environmental, and economic benefits available through careful stewardship.